Piqua Ohio History
In terms of historical impact, Indian tribes were definitely one of the biggest players in the US. They began to call the Ohio Valley their home and settled along the Ohio River, where conflicts with white settlers became routine. By 1795, most of the Shawnee had moved from Ohio to Missouri, and those who stayed emigrated north to Auglaize. In 1850, only a small number of Shawnees lived, most of them from the southern part of Indiana, west of the Mississippi. This southwestern Indian city no longer exists, but the remains of many of its inhabitants still live in Ohio.
Although the term "Indian" or "Indian" is a derogatory term for the Indians, these tribes are spreading far and wide. In fact, they often helped the settlers to get to the plains, and although some settlers lost their lives to attacks by the "American Indians," this was not the norm.
There were several branches of the Confederacy occupying the land between Ohio and Mississippi and the Great Lakes. One of them was the Piqua Pueblo, a small tribe of about 1,000 people, occupied by a large number of Indians, most of them from western Ohio.
After the Indians were defeated by Fallen Timbers in the Battle of the Fallen, the settlers opened the land of the Piqua Pueblo to settlers on the west side of the Ohio River.
In the spring of 1868, the Cleveland clique decided to consolidate the original Bee Line and its streets. After the withdrawal of the Hoosier Partisan Cleveland clique, these two lines were merged into the Bellefontaine Railway Company.
In search of a new area to build a village, the Indians traveled northwest until they reached the Great Miami River, where they decided where the Johnston Indian Agency would eventually be established. They were on the same site as the Miami Indians village of Pickawillany, abandoned in 1763 after an earlier unsuccessful Shawnee attack. The monument not only commemorates the arrival of the Cleveland Indians in the early 18th century, but also marks the site of Shawnees "first camp in Pique's history, on the site of what is now Bellefontaine Station.
While the Kiowa, Comanche and Indian tribes shared land in the southern plains, the Native Americans in the northwest and southeast of the country were limited to the Indian territory of what is now Oklahoma. Before white men entered this area, it was populated by Sioux, Cherokee and Iroquois. With so many new arrivals moving west, the federal government introduced a policy that limited the indigenous population to a group of territories that were intended exclusively for their use, in order to provide more territories for non-Indian settlers.
Native American tribes, including groups from Cheyennes, Arapahos, Comanches, and Sioux, fought back, angered by the government's dishonest and unfair policies. To allay these concerns, the US government held a conference with several local Indian tribes in 1851 and established the Treaty of Fort Laramie.
The village of Washington was founded in 1807, but the name was unpopular with the settlers, and in 1816 the state legislature had requested that the town be renamed Piqua. The name had been unpopular with the settlers and in 1788 also with the Indian Council of Ohio and with many other tribes. In 1815 it was reestablished as a town under the name Pippin in honor of the founder of the tribe John P. Pittin.
In 1823, the village formed a municipal government and was incorporated as the town of Piqua, located on the east side of the Ohio River at the intersection of US Route 25 and Main Street. The historical mark on the south side is entitled William McCulloch, and the mark on the north side is entitled Civil Rights Movement in Piquea. In 1821, 1822 and 1824, the city of Washington was incorporated into the state of Ohio, while in 1826 the county of Columbus, Ohio, and then in 1840 the county of Miami County. There are two main roads, one of which is the former U S.Route 25 (also known as Dixie Highway), the other runs east of Shawnee.
History of the County, published by W.H. Beers, in Miami County, Ohio, published by Genealogy Hound, Inc., a division of the Genealogical Society of America, is available free of charge on the Genealogy - Hound website.
The Miami County, Ohio Genealogy newspaper may contain information of genealogical value, including probate proceedings, tax records and other information. The newspaper is available free of charge on the Geneology - Hound website under the heading "Miami County."
All existing birth and death certificates in Miami County, Ohio, are in the County Probate Court. The Ohio Department of Health has at its Ohio History Connection home birth certificates filed on December 20, 1908, as well as death certificates filed on January 1, 1954 for all residents of the county.